EE 2.0 Logo

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Current Time:

View Unread Topics Since Your Last Visit

Important Announcements

The Earth's Elite Spring 12 Hour Take Over Starts In... NOW!!! WATCH LIVE AT HTTPS://EARTHELITE.CO.UK/12H

Author Topic: A Directors Note  (Read 3106 times)

{EE} Callum Jackson

• Earth's Elite CEO (Founder)
  • Senior Staff
  • Steam Profile: Steam Profile Of callum603
  • STO Character: Callum Jackson@Calcium1
  • Beware the ban hammer!
    • View Profile
    • Earth's Elite's
A Directors Note
« on: April 15, 2017, 09:37:13 pm »

Today I was reflecting on how I've been directing my episodes of Temporal Leap.  Whilst I don't think my episodes have been trerrible, I do feel they haven't been as good as they could be and this got me to thinking why this might be.

When I first started with RPG-X, I didn't join an already established RPG-X group, instead I saw it's potential for RP's and tried something out.  This something was a random gaming night for a creative writing SIMM I run with SSRF, back then it was known as UFPDF.  This random gaming night featured a role-play on RPG-X.  My first RP was a director of an RP, I played the role of director the same way I always did for creative writing, I create a story with a beginning, middle, and an end, I then direct the story the make sure it stays on track, however, I have no control over the characters that are within the story, they are their own entities, they think for themselves.  The people playing those characters get to decide what they say, what they see, what they do, etc etc, not the director of the story, not unless it is absolutely necassary for the story to progress.  So this is how I directed my first RP.

I continued directing RP's and SRP's in this manner right up until Temporal Leap, where, for some reason, I decided to change my directing style.  I haven't liked an episode that I've directed yet, though I haven't disliked them either.  I chose to direct in a similar way to how Scott does, I managed the story more, I tried to direct each character as best I could, I feel this hasn't worked, for me at least.

Now, I'm not saying there's a correct way and a wrong way to direct an RP, but for me, there is only one way.  That way is in the style I used to direct RP's.

Starting with Monday's episode of Temporal Leap, all episodes I direct will be directed in the way I used to.  I feel this gives you more freedom to play your character, as you get to decide on nearly everything your character does, this also keeps me on my toes as I have to try to steer the story with only my character.

Those of you who partake in creative writing will likely already be familar with this style of story direction, but those who haven't, you will find it very different to start with, you'll have little to no direction from me about what to do, your character is your character and you are telling a story along with everyone else, you can have your own mini story within the main one, so long as you don't take the focus away from the main story or plotjack (we'll come onto this more later), then pretty much anything goes.

Some common sense is needed with this style (arguably with all styles of directing), if I need you to do something for the stories sake, I will tell you either before the RP, or when you need to know, if I haven't told you, then it's for you to decide.  Example, Savage was in his ready room talking to Dulmur about their imminent arrival to Earth, we then come onto the Bridge and ask how long until Earth.  Your response shouldn't be "6 weeks 5 days 7 hours Sir", but more along the lines of "2 1/2 hours Sir".

I will drop hints as to what I need for the story to progress, but will leave the finer details up to you, this lets YOU tell the story, not just me, you get to decide what happens and how it happens, for the most part.

You might be thinking that with this style plotjacking isn't possible, it is.  This is where it gets harder, more is permitted, but there is a fine line between you telling your part of the story and straight up plotjacking.  If the mission synopsis I posted states we come across a fleet of 50 Galaxy Class starships, then I ask you whats on sensors and you report the Borg, that is plot jacking.

I wont be too harsh the first few times as everyone settles back into the way I direct RP's.

I reserve the right to void anything said by anyone if it will take the story too far off course that I can't recover it.

I feel this will give you all more freedom to play your characters and actually role-play, than the way I was previously trying to direct RP's.

If you are used to the way Scott directs RP's and haven't been part of a creative writing community or any of my RP's before, then you will need to know that it is, mostly, up to you to get your character involved.  My job as a director is to direct the story that is being told and TRY to include every character, but if I can't, then it is up to you, I promise, unless it would outright steer the story way off course, any attempt made by you to get your character involved will not be voided and is welcomed.

Again, I'm not saying my way is better and I'm not saying Scott's way is better, they both have upsides and both have downsides, but for me as a director, the way I've always directed and the way I prefer is the only way I feel I can continue directing my half of the Temporal Leap SRP.

I hope to see you all there for episode 7 on Monday.  I'll release details about the episode tomorrow, there will likely be a required map.

--
Callum Jackson
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Information Officer
Earth's Elite

Web: http://www.earthelite.co.uk
E-Mail: http://www.earthelite.co.uk/mailer.php?emid=11

That which does not kill me, has made a tactical error...

{EE} Scott Archer

• Vice Admiral
  • Senior Staff
  • STO Character: Scott Archer@scottarcher97
  • Scott Archer
    • View Profile
Re: A Directors Note
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 09:45:58 pm »

As the old saying goes, there's more than one way to skin a cat!
And neither of these methods is wrong ways.

I look forward to it!

Please create a forum signature by going to Profile > Modify Profile > Forum Profile.

{EE} Callum Jackson

• Earth's Elite CEO (Founder)
  • Senior Staff
  • Steam Profile: Steam Profile Of callum603
  • STO Character: Callum Jackson@Calcium1
  • Beware the ban hammer!
    • View Profile
    • Earth's Elite's
Re: A Directors Note
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 12:14:54 am »

Indeed.

--
Callum Jackson
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Information Officer
Earth's Elite

Web: http://www.earthelite.co.uk
E-Mail: http://www.earthelite.co.uk/mailer.php?emid=11

That which does not kill me, has made a tactical error...

Login/Register To Use The EE COMMS

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal