EE 2.0 Logo

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Current Time:

View Unread Topics Since Your Last Visit

Important Announcements

Welcome To Earth's Elite.  We Hope You Enjoy Your Stay.

Author Topic: Steam account hacked  (Read 12875 times)

{BANNED} jamessolomon

Steam account hacked
« on: January 20, 2016, 07:00:01 pm »

Found out today after a rather big steam purchase and random ones cropping up here and there over the Xmas break has made me distrust Steam as a secure platform for buying things on so from today im no longer using steam until further notice so expect me to join in less with steam related EE events and such. Ill still be around to play with people but just letting you know about myself being hacked along with a few other steam friends

WAWLumberjack

{EE} Callum Jackson

• Earth's Elite CEO (Founder)
  • Senior Staff
  • Steam Profile: Steam Profile Of callum603
  • STO Character: Callum Jackson@Calcium1
  • Beware the ban hammer!
    • View Profile
    • Earth's Elite's
Re: Steam account hacked
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 10:10:53 pm »

There was a problem over Christmas with Valve's customers information being displayed on the steam store, but only from those who used the store that day, it also only affected a very small percentage of their user base.  Considering it affected something like 30,000 people, and their user base is in the millions, relatively small.

In terms of your own account getting hacked, that is, partly, your own fault.  You should take advantage of all the features Steam give you to protect your account, such as the mobile authenticator built into their mobile app.  No one can log into my steam without access to my phone, even then, they'd have to crack my secure password.  You also have the Family View feature, which, once setup, can prevent users from accessing certain features, such as the store.

You cannot blame steam alone for your account getting hacked, they do provide features to help eliminate this, but you yourself have to take advantage of them if you wish to protect your account.

Just wanted to reply here with this, just in case others read this and are put off using steam, the platform is secure, as long as you help keep it secure, by using the features they provide for you.

--
Callum Jackson
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Information Officer
Earth's Elite

Web: http://www.earthelite.co.uk
E-Mail: http://www.earthelite.co.uk/mailer.php?emid=11

That which does not kill me, has made a tactical error...

Login/Register To Use The EE COMMS

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal