EE 2.0 Logo

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Current Community Time:

View Unread Topics Since Your Last Visit

Important Announcements

Earth's Elite has open staff positions, for more information visit the staff vacancies thread - https://earthelite.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,615.0.html

Author Topic: Earth's Elite - What you want  (Read 1125 times)

{EE} Callum Jackson

• Earth's Elite CEO (Founder)
  • Senior Staff
  • Steam Profile: Steam Profile Of callum603
  • STO Character: Callum Jackson@Calcium1
  • Fleet Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Earth's Elite's
Earth's Elite - What you want
« on: May 23, 2015, 08:45:07 pm »

The Earth's Elite staff are having a meeting on the 6th of June.  Over the past 6 months I have noticed that events aren't attended as much as we'd like or as much as they used to be.  In my case, I'm unable to attend quite a few of the events right now due RL and I understand this may be the case for some other members.

The purpose of this thread is to find out what you like and dislike about EE, also include how we could fix some of the points, if you have an ideas.  If you have any suggestions for what we should do, then include that as well.

When EE first opened, my intention was to create a community where members can come together and game, I had hoped that as time went on and the member base grew, more and more events or spur of the moment events would spring up, it had always been my intention to allow members to create their own events for any game they see fit (as long as it's suitable for most of EE's members), then if those games became popular, EE would officially adopt the game and create a division for it.

I have seen interest in members wanting other games supported, yet when there are events for other games, we hardly ever get anyone attend (the Random Game Night is a good example of this, any and every game out there that is either free or everyone has is on the list, yet we've never actually done this event as either no one had downloaded the nights games or no one would turn up).  Therefore I'm turning to you all, what is it you want from Earth's Elite?

In my time as FCO I have seen staff members try out many different types of events, some worked for a while, some failed straight away, but we've never found anything that seems to 'work' for the most part.

If I don't get any responses to this then I'll just presume that the last few months have been busy IRL for most members, resulting in the low turn out for events.

Thank you to those who do reply to this.  Please try to keep negative comments constructive, I'm not saying don't be honest (please do be), but don't just reply with "X event is bad, cancel it", tell us why you think it's bad, what we could potentially do to improve it, etc.

--
Fleet Admiral Callum Jackson
Chief Executive Officer
Owner/Founder
Technical Department Director
Lead Website/Server Administrator/Developer
Webmaster
Earth's Elite

Web: http://www.earthelite.co.uk
E-Mail: http://www.earthelite.co.uk/mailer.php?emid=11

Help Me Out By Purchasing Your Next Game Using This Link.

That which does not kill me....has made a tactical error

{EE} Khta

• Senior Captain
  • Earth's Elite Officer
  • STO Character: Khta@khta
  • Chief of Fleet Operations R.Admiral Khta
    • View Profile
Re: Earth's Elite - What you want
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 11:19:15 pm »

I was thinking we needed a discussion about this!
What does not work for me:
(Obviously) scheduling weekly events (as per required) and having no one present or perhaps present for 1 of 4.
I schedule them at times I thought worked for the European faction, but these times are not ideal for me, thus my frustration. I have been thinking I would set times I like to play since it hasn't seemed to matter.
My thoughts for improvement:
I would like to set one day a month for each department (FsX, STO, random games) that is the best time for all to attend (a total of 3 events) and strongly suggest they be attended by all. Outside of that 1 event for each there be no other requisite dates in the calendar. We can then add dates we may expect to play beyond that but it need not be required.
Or, another option is each month be focused only on one department with 2 events to attend.

Make it so!

{EE} Khta

• Senior Captain
  • Earth's Elite Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 07:49:20 pm »

One other thought, though I'm not sure this is where to post it (perhaps in a staff mtg)...
I would like to know the purpose for the rule 'no other fleet memberships". Bofum and I have Klingon toons which cannot join the EE online fleet. We either need to create a Klingon faction for this fleet (which requires 5 peeps present in game to do) or we could join another already established fleet. Personally, one fleet is enough for the two of us to basically self sponsor. We have brought our fleet up to lvl 8 now virtually by ourselves, donating about 80% of all we earn. I simply do not wish to be responsible for growing yet another starbase. However, as a delta recruit, my toon has quite a bit of fleet marks and dilithium specifically sanctioned for fleet donations and nowhere to put them.

I believe this fleet has a personality disorder: it doesn't really have one purpose. From where I sit, it seems the website itself is what matters to Callum and Scott, STO is what matters to Bofum and I, and I am not sure what matters to the other directors. Bofum and I would both like to see more actual fleet involvement in STO since that is what we thought we were joining in the first place - an in game fleet. I think the last time someone played during one of my events was when Callum came on and that was what? 2 months ago? Once since the 24 hr event? and before that maybe one person since the new year?

The new ships (command and intelligence) both stack up when others of same kind are present. It would be cool if we could coordinate as a fleet to battle...

Khta

Make it so!

{EE} Callum Jackson

• Senior Staff
  • Fleet Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Earth's Elite's
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 01:10:58 am »

I originally put the '1 Fleet Only' rule in place to prevent resource stealing by other members (not saying anyone here would do that).  The '1 Fleet Only' rule applies only to STO (and any other game we support where people could potentially steal our resources).  With an account bank, it's easy to take resources out of one fleet and put them into another.

We can talk about this more in the whole staff meeting, but, myself and the senior staff run Earth's Elite as a whole, so that incorporates AoS, RPG-X, STO..... right now, IRL I'm unavailable during normal hours (feel free to send complaint letters to the UK Government and the Department for Work & Pensions) as I'm currently having to attend what is known as daily signing (I have to go to my local job centre (not so local) and sign on every day.  Awkward hours and bad buses result in my entire day being taken up by this).  Therefore, when I do get online, most events are either done, or I have too much admin work to catch up on.  Being the lead developer for Servers and Website, I have quite a lot to do, plus the site is still not finished.  So, unfortunately I cannot attend many events that are within the normal hours, American timezones probably work best for me atm.

Directors SHOULD focus more on their own divisions as they should believe in them and like the game they're playing and organising fun and exciting events for each week, so you may find that getting directors to attend other divisions events will be rather hard, as they have/want to focus on their divisions game.

STO is only one of our games, so not everyone on the site will have/want to play it, however, as far as I'm aware, it is the most popular division.

When I'm able to I do attend other divisions events, as I feel it's a good way to have a relaxed conversation with members about EE, but I have to divide my time between the boring admin work that goes on behind the scenes, my own divisions events, and RL.

One other thought, though I'm not sure this is where to post it (perhaps in a staff mtg)...
I would like to know the purpose for the rule 'no other fleet memberships". Bofum and I have Klingon toons which cannot join the EE online fleet. We either need to create a Klingon faction for this fleet (which requires 5 peeps present in game to do) or we could join another already established fleet. Personally, one fleet is enough for the two of us to basically self sponsor. We have brought our fleet up to lvl 8 now virtually by ourselves, donating about 80% of all we earn. I simply do not wish to be responsible for growing yet another starbase. However, as a delta recruit, my toon has quite a bit of fleet marks and dilithium specifically sanctioned for fleet donations and nowhere to put them.

I believe this fleet has a personality disorder: it doesn't really have one purpose. From where I sit, it seems the website itself is what matters to Callum and Scott, STO is what matters to Bofum and I, and I am not sure what matters to the other directors. Bofum and I would both like to see more actual fleet involvement in STO since that is what we thought we were joining in the first place - an in game fleet. I think the last time someone played during one of my events was when Callum came on and that was what? 2 months ago? Once since the 24 hr event? and before that maybe one person since the new year?

The new ships (command and intelligence) both stack up when others of same kind are present. It would be cool if we could coordinate as a fleet to battle...

Khta

--
Chief Executive Officer
Owner/Founder
Webmaster
Earth's Elite

{BANNED} jamessolomon

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 07:51:33 pm »

Radio - use it more often or axe it. It seems a waste to use it once or twice every few months seems like more could be done with it maybe using it to update players on things developments events for the month games ect

Everything else maybe randomise the calender that way its not so boring and as a member sometimes it is having them same day every week that gets boring plus the super early times for some games to suit US times means conversion UK players usually cannot attend due to maybe work or something maybe a set low and high time slot between which the games can be put into the time bracket. Usually with games the event specificed is never played take FSX the last few times iv played its been an event but then it dosnt happen maybe make it just FSX event rather than an actual event within the games.

More supported game servers or maybe clans for some unsupported games with someone in command of the casual games (unsuported ones) and be the clan leader for those such as a World of Tanks clan and you add to the calender like [CG] World of Tanks Clan event or something like that that way people might join in more. Maybe EE Clans and have clan night like we challenge say TLO to a game or something of something

Is there a way to add more account names such as the STO one we have already maybe for other unsuported games like Wot and the other free ones so we can find people on there or other supported game handles like FSX, Phantom ect

WAWLumberjack

{EE} Scott Archer

• Vice Admiral
  • Senior Staff
  • STO Character: Scott Archer@scottarcher97
  • Scott Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 11:19:03 pm »

I think we do need to create a Klingon fleet in Star Trek Online personally.
My problem with Star Trek Online is it usually means swapping computers and then it takes forever to load. When I close it, it seems to take the whole computer with it. I also find it very repetitive at times which is very boring and the last Q missions for the anniversary killed the game for me.
I understand everyone's availability for events and event times but I cannot do 5pm on a weekday and quite often not on a weekend therefore I find I can't make most events and lose my main motivation for playing.

I should be able to go to more things over summer but when I have college, the earliest I can get on is 19:00-19:30 and even then, I often have a lot of work to do and I am fairly busy besides that. This coupled with other events at other communities doesn't leave an awful lot of time.

My main problem in general is my computer.  I cannot afford a new one and neither can my parents (I've tried asking for a laptop for my birthday, but I don't hold out a lot of hope.) As FXO, I'd like to attend everything that I possibly can but my computer severely limites that and therefore there are only so many games that I can get on.

In regards to Star Trek Online, I think we should scrap the one fleet rule. I've known a few people get confused by this and think it means all of our games.

Please create a forum signature by going to Profile > Modify Profile > Forum Profile.

Help support this community by changing your Amazon UK bookmark to our referral link, it only takes a minute.  Ask a senior member of staff for details, or click here.

{EE} Scott Archer

• Vice Admiral
  • Senior Staff
  • STO Character: Scott Archer@scottarcher97
  • Scott Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 11:45:03 pm »

Radio - use it more often or axe it. It seems a waste to use it once or twice every few months seems like more could be done with it maybe using it to update players on things developments events for the month games ect
The radio falls under the media dept. Myself and Lucas really need to get together and discuss it more.
After Christmas I intended to have a weekly show but due to fore mentioned time and computer issues it never really happened.
The trouble with the radio, unless you just do a music show then you really need people to listen in for it to work. At one time, Callum did a monthly show but it usually only got one or two listeners and most competitions he tried just didn't really work out due to so few people listening.
However, for things like ceremonies it is a useful tool and for things like Christmas when it gets more use and more listeners it works really well so it isn't a waste of space.

I might try launching a weekly show over summer and see how it goes. As people are off school and often some people work less in that time, it might be worth doing?

Everything else maybe randomise the calender that way its not so boring and as a member sometimes it is having them same day every week that gets boring plus the super early times for some games to suit US times means conversion UK players usually cannot attend due to maybe work or something maybe a set low and high time slot between which the games can be put into the time bracket.
At the moment, events are created by either division event managers or division directors and should be put up at times that they can actually attend. If the calendar was randomised then directors and divisions staff might not be able to attend their events and due to the number of active people in the fleet it probably wouldn't work out that well anyway.
Timing is always going to be tricky. The majority of this fleet is made up of British people but there are a few Europeans and quite a few Americans as well. In the UK, 21:00 might be an acceptable time for an event but in most of Europe thats 22:00 or 23:00 and many people may not want to stay up that late and therefore they don't show up. On the other hand, that could be anywhere between 13:00 and 16:00 for Americans who are usually still at work or school at that time. Maybe the best way to time events is to alternate them between what's best for the USA and what's best for the UK/ Europe.

Usually with games the event specificed is never played take FSX the last few times iv played its been an event but then it dosnt happen maybe make it just FSX event rather than an actual event within the games.

This is something we need to look at. As I said above, Directors should use a time that they can attend or get someone trustworthy to cover it. I feel in a lot of cases this just isn't happening. If you can't make an event you create and you can't find anyone to cover for you then cancel it.

More supported game servers or maybe clans for some unsupported games with someone in command of the casual games (unsuported ones) and be the clan leader for those such as a World of Tanks clan and you add to the calender like [CG] World of Tanks Clan event or something like that that way people might join in more. Maybe EE Clans and have clan night like we challenge say TLO to a game or something of something.
This is actually quite a good idea. I know there are quite a few people playing other games with other members anyway. We need to get a casual games thing set up (can't remember if it's being planned or discussed lol...) and I don't think we need to necessarily have specific games or clan leaders. It should maybe be an event that anyone can create and if you plan to play with someone then post it in the calendar and see if anyone else wants to come along.
I also like the idea of doing things with other communities. TLO is the obvious choice in some ways, yes, but realistically we could do stuff with any other community. In the past we have done some stuff with TLO and at times they have allowed EE members to join in TLO events.

Please create a forum signature by going to Profile > Modify Profile > Forum Profile.

Help support this community by changing your Amazon UK bookmark to our referral link, it only takes a minute.  Ask a senior member of staff for details, or click here.

{EE} Callum Jackson

• Senior Staff
  • Fleet Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Earth's Elite's
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 05:43:25 pm »

More supported game servers or maybe clans for some unsupported games with someone in command of the casual games (unsuported ones) and be the clan leader for those such as a World of Tanks clan and you add to the calender like [CG] World of Tanks Clan event or something like that that way people might join in more. Maybe EE Clans and have clan night like we challenge say TLO to a game or something of something.
This is actually quite a good idea. I know there are quite a few people playing other games with other members anyway. We need to get a casual games thing set up (can't remember if it's being planned or discussed lol...) and I don't think we need to necessarily have specific games or clan leaders. It should maybe be an event that anyone can create and if you plan to play with someone then post it in the calendar and see if anyone else wants to come along.
I also like the idea of doing things with other communities. TLO is the obvious choice in some ways, yes, but realistically we could do stuff with any other community. In the past we have done some stuff with TLO and at times they have allowed EE members to join in TLO events.

A casual gaming division is on the senior staff agenda for discussion next month during the seniors meeting.  The plan for this division is essentially exactly what you've suggested.  There would be no 'director' per se, there would be moderators which members will have to contact to organise events (if you want them adding to the calendar that is), and at least one of these moderators should be given a leadership rank/position etc in any clans made as soon as possible (just so we have at least one official staff member there).  For the most part, if this division goes ahead, I'll be the main contact point for events etc.  But the plan is not to have regular events, only when members want them, for any game under the sun (and yes, I really mean that, PG-16, PG-18, and PG-18+ (XXX kind of games) MUST have moderator approval first and will be restricted to only those members old enough to attend, but any and every game is acceptable).

Everything I've just said, of course, is subject to change as the senior staff are yet to discuss this.  But I would like to see more games supported and more events running.

As this is a thread about us talking about what we want - Please use the TS....

EE has a TS3 server capable of holding around 250 people (licensed to hold 500), but it rarely sees more than 2 people on at a time (that being myself and Canio22).  Just want to put a reminder out there about this server, we run fairly high codec and there tends to be a server admin online most of the time (we do check the support channels regularly), if you haven't used TS3 before, I really do recommend giving it ago, personally I find TS better than Skype or the Steam VoIP (if you can call it that, whenever I've used it, it's more like Static Over Internet Protocol instead of Voice), it offers not only VoIP communication but text chat also.  We do also permit members (those users with the [EE] tag on TS) to use the file browsers on the public channels, this means you can upload and download files from the TS server with your channel mates.  It's a free program, available on Windows, OSX, Linux, Android, & iOS (I think you have to pay for the iOS version).

I really would like to see more people using the TS, it's there to be used, even if you're not gaming and just want to chat with your friends (though if you use it for that, then I'd suggest you and your friends getting 5.00 to get a VIP channel, even higher codec (if you've ever been in an admin channel you'll know how better the voice quality can get) and password protection).  Also, don't be afraid to ask for more channels, with popular games I'm happy to add sub channels, also if you play a game that's not on there, ask for that.

I've spent numerous hours trying to get our TS to be as stable as possible, so far it's been up for almost 90 days without crashing (would be longer, but there was a server update in between).  The TS server now actually has it's own dedicated server with only that on it, with a 50MbP/s upload and a 50 MbP/s download connection speed.  It's a little depressing to see it so underused after spending so much time getting it to where it is today.

--
Chief Executive Officer
Owner/Founder
Webmaster
Earth's Elite

{EE} Khta

• Senior Captain
  • Earth's Elite Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 05:02:18 pm »

@Callum: In case I sounded like I was criticizing, just wanted you to know I know your hands are full!

I think I will alternate times for STO so USA and UK are covered comfortably.

I would like to set up a date where anyone with a Klingon toon can be present. It takes 5 to open a new Fleet. I think our new member Dylan also has a klingon (I believe he must be USA as he is on pretty much whenever I am) so, that means we need 2 more peeps to open up our Klingon div. Any suggestions for a name for this fleet? Earth Elite is not appropriate :)

Khta

Make it so!

{EE} Callum Jackson

• Senior Staff
  • Fleet Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Earth's Elite's
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 06:33:47 pm »

@Callum: In case I sounded like I was criticizing, just wanted you to know I know your hands are full!

I think I will alternate times for STO so USA and UK are covered comfortably.

I would like to set up a date where anyone with a Klingon toon can be present. It takes 5 to open a new Fleet. I think our new member Dylan also has a klingon (I believe he must be USA as he is on pretty much whenever I am) so, that means we need 2 more peeps to open up our Klingon div. Any suggestions for a name for this fleet? Earth Elite is not appropriate :)

Khta

@Khta, Sorry, been having a bad week, my bad mood may have come through in my recent posts.

I have a Klingon character, very low level, but I do have a character.  Depending on the time etc, I'll try and be there.  I can also message ADM. Malloway from SSRF to see if he has a Klingon character and if he'd be able to come online at some point to help us open a Klingon fleet.

Starting from next week, I'm gonna try and get on every game and every server we have for at least 30 mins a week, just to show my face.  I'll spend my time on STO trying to get things to donate to the fleet projects, my character bank is filled with a load of useless items that I don't need.  Some can probably be put into the fleet bank for the lower level toons, most I'll probably sell on the exchange etc and try and level our fleet up.  Lock boxes seem to make a decent amount of EC, my account bank is full of them, lol.

--
Chief Executive Officer
Owner/Founder
Webmaster
Earth's Elite

{BANNED} jamessolomon

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 05:04:13 pm »

Why dont we have a proper homepage for EE that we go to first before linking to the forums maybe it will look better that way instead of linking us direct to the forums

WAWLumberjack

{EE} Callum Jackson

• Senior Staff
  • Fleet Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Earth's Elite's
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 05:29:02 pm »

Why dont we have a proper homepage for EE that we go to first before linking to the forums maybe it will look better that way instead of linking us direct to the forums

My laptop died on me whilst I was typing a reply to this, so here's another.

Anyways, do you mean something like...EARTH'S ELITE 2.0, that's EE's 2.0 website.

Earth's Elite has had a website and forums from around 6th of August 2013.  In fact, the first thing that was created for EE was her website, then the forums were setup.

Honestly shocked that you've never visited the website I've spent almost a year and a half building.  When you submitted your membership application you would have been redirected back to the home page of EE.

Earth's Elite has it's own website 'Earth's Elite 2.0' which was designed, built, and maintained by the EE devs, the 'Earth's Elite 2.0 MMS' which is being designed, and built by the EE devs, and of course we have our forums which were designed by the EE devs, but built and maintained by Simple Machines, though once it's on our server we can pretty much edit anything we like, which is what I've done to add in our custom scripts etc.

But yeah...who else thought EE was just a forum with nothing else?  I've sent out so many emails about the EE dev work over the last few weeks/months......

--
Chief Executive Officer
Owner/Founder
Webmaster
Earth's Elite

{EE} Callum Jackson

• Senior Staff
  • Fleet Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Earth's Elite's
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 05:36:02 pm »

UPDATE:
To ensure that EE 2.0 actually gets completed, as of today I am hereby declaring EE 2.0 suggestions closed.

Obviously I'll still respond to bug reports etc, but any suggestions about the theme, pages, features etc, will not get put into EE 2.0 now.  Once the final release of EE 2.0 is complete, I will then look into suggestions and possibly queue them for future updates.

The Senior Staff will be confirming EE 2.0 features and development during the senior staff meeting, that will also be the last chance for the senior staff to change anything about the 2.0 version.

The Beta of EE 2.0 has had long enough to run, we're now taking all those suggestions and are actually going to work on releasing a fully functioning website.

Once the final release version is complete and released, EE's version number will change with each update.  Quickly going to explain a bit about that.

The version number will increase every time and update is made, but depending on the type of update, only one of the numbers may change.

Minor updates, such as bug fixes, security updates etc will increase the third number in the version number, so if after release I fix a bug, EE 2.0 would be EE 2.0.1
Moderate Updates, such as adding a feature etc will increase the second number and reset the third number, so if after release I added a new feature EE 2.0.X would be EE 2.1.0
Major Updates, you can probably guess this one, this is anything like a complete overhaul of the code, changing something major in the EE site, this increase the first number and reset the other two.  So if after a few months of release I do a major update, EE 2.X.X would be EE 3.0.

Minor updates after release are the likeliest to happen and in most cases, you'll see the version number increase, but not know what for.  The change log http://www.earthelite.co.uk/changelog.php will always be updated with what's being changed, even if it's a minor update.

--
Chief Executive Officer
Owner/Founder
Webmaster
Earth's Elite

Login/Register To Use The EE COMMS